Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pacific Rim Trailer . . . Or, This Is What I Got Instead of At The Mountains Of Madness

Guillermo Del Toro has been hinting that he'd finally put H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" to celluloid (actually, is there any celluloid used in movies anymore?) for a while now.  Most of his movies hint at the darkness that lurks behind our world; both of the Hellboy movies are directly inspired by Lovecraft, and Pan's Labyrinth has the same foreboding sense of another world hidden just out of the corner of your eye.  His work is dark, and ominous, and you have the sense that humanity is small and insignificant compared to the forces arrayed against it.

This is the premise to Pacific Rim.  Monsters have traveled via dimensional gateway to our world and we are incapable of fighting back.  But instead of lying down to die, we find a way to fight back.  And that way?  We built Voltron.  Take a look at the trailer below and try to tell me that instead of At the Mountains of Madness, I didn't get Voltron.  Everything about this movie smacks of ridiculous.  So, uranium-depleted bullets don't pierce monster hide, I get it.  But where does the logic of building giant robots come in?  And then making them anthropomorphic.  We have bombs, currently, that can bore hundreds of feet into solid earth, stone and concrete and you're telling me we had to build a three hundred foot version of Real Steel?  We can bash these transdimensional monsters to a bloody pulp, but we can't drop a tactical nuke on them.  Ridiculous.  Where's Shia LeBeouf when you need him? 

I realize that for every movie I have to suspend my disbelief, but this movie asks too much.

Guillermo.  You've disappointed me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment