Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cheap On-Demand Printing . . . The Future of Publishing

I'm pretty sure that Ingram's new tech is the wave of the future in publishing.  It eliminates much of the waste that we currently see while still allowing the traditional features of publishing (an in-house editor, design and layout, etc.) to flourish. 

I've been saying for a while that the current model of large batch printing, which is sent to bookstore and allowed to sit for months on end, only to be returned at the end of the credit cycle, is a poor model.  Ideally, I foresee bookstores offering a very limited physical selection, while maintaining a large database of digital copies which than be printed on demand,  in-house while you browse.

Powell's in Portland already does something like this.  I was able to see a demonstration last time I was in town and it convinced me both of the feasibility of on-demand publishing and of its economy.

3 comments:

  1. Idea: you could make a sort of "book salon," like a coffee shop, where you can electronically browse on e-readers and order books. Eat delicious snacks while waiting for the printed copy.

    "Rick! I have an espresso and a copy of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" for Rick!"
    "Thank you!"
    "Ben! I have a low-fat, no-foam, soy latte and a copy of "Twili--""
    "SSHH!! Shh, yes I'm here, thank you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty nifty idea, actually.

      "Who got the cream cheese muffin and a copy of "Fifty Shades Darker?"

      Delete
    2. You could even choose your paper stock and cover art. Even go deluxe with special hardback binding options. (That last one may be more difficult.)

      "Order up! Double chocolate chip frappucino and a Calvin & Hobbes."

      Delete